Thursday 11 July 2013

Cake Boss Comp @ Harvard

This competition was crazy!

To start with they have been advertising this Cake Boss Competition in Annenberg for the past few weeks and I had a bunch of friends sign up. Yesterday they asked if I wanted to join as 2 had class while it was on so myself and Sophie joined. I went and visited Shirley Green (Assistant Dean of Students) to get a poster board and markers for a team sign we had to make for the comp. She was absolutely lovely and loved my Australian accent :)

Then I had to carry this big board around all day arghh anyway at 3 we were supposed to meet together to do sign, however I ended up being the only one so I did this fancy design and called our team the WONDERS FROM DOWNUNDER!

Anyway, today at 4 we were all supposed to meet and then everyone started pulling out left right and center so Sophie ended up persuading her roommate Lena to join and I rang everyone I knew at Harvard and luckily enough George was coming back from the gym and I made him come do it.

When we walked into Annenberg we were so surprised with the intensity of the competition. There were tables set out, fancy icing stuff, so many cakes and they even had a videographer, photographer, strobe lights and a commentator to talk through the event! WOW.



The debrief was- make a cake that fits a theme, is creative and is executed well. We got straight onto working out what we wanted to do. We knew it was going to be Australian but weren't sure whether we do layers or just cutouts. In the end we thought the best one was cutouts so we strategically worked out what we needed and stood close to it when the buzzer went and George and Lena ran to get extra frosting and cake. It was cray-cray!

we had a great system going... I would cut out the shapes and the other three would start icing until we all had our own one. They turned out so great. We also had great presentation as we cleaned all the trays and made the icing really smooth. To stick with the Aussie theme we had a Koala, Kangaroo, Sydney Opera House and of course a jar of Vegemite!
 


 

  

 
During the contest the commentator would come around and ask questions and the judges and other students would come around and look and chat with us. This as so amazing as the judges consisted of the DEAN of HARVARD- Donald Pfister, Shirley, Dean of Admissions and Assistant Dean of Kirkland- Kristie.  I had this whole conversation with Prof Donald about how he loved Australia and I invited him to breakie with the aussies and vegemite toast but he said he wasn't going to be tricked again and it was foul. Then later on he came back and remember my name.... this is only hitting me now how cool this is that the Dean of Harvard and the Dean of Students know me personally!
 
 
DEANS!!!



We only had 45min to decorate our cakes and it felt we were on show as the judges and everyone in the dining hall watched us. We then presented them and got a loud aussie aussie aussie happening!

We end up coming 2nd woo!!!! Runners up in the 1st inaugural cake boss competition! We one cookie cutters and tshirts woo and got a certificate signed by the dean woo!!! And I think the video and photos are the promo for summer school next year lol.

We also got to keep a whole unused cake as well as whatever caks we wanted so now we have a full cake and a koala cake for our Aussie pre drinks tomorrow...

What an awesome event!

No comments:

Post a Comment