Sunday 30 June 2013

Study Break Sunday

So today I again woke up late again and made it Hemenway Gym for another 2 hour workout so I could watch the entire movie "21" which I think is quiet appropriate as the protagonist is trying to get into Harvard Med! I took my camera as I find the Law School, where the gym is situated, to be one of the prettiest parts to the college I have seen.


 After being so good at the gym I felt so guilt for going to the dining hall and having waffles for brunch... BUT they had the HARVARD crest in them!!!! thumbs up for awesome marketing!!! I'm not usually a fan of waffles but I have now been converted! They were the fluffiest waffles I have ever had and you even got to make them yourself so they were so fresh and hot and mmmmmmmm
 I ended up meeting with George (from musical theatre class) and Andrea for brunch and we had an incredible educational debate. George goes to a private school in NJ called Ranney which costs $30 000 a year!!!! We talked about how they look at about 10 novels a year and how competitive they are and also how you can begin gaining university credit through AP courses when your in year 7! He also explained the long and arduous process of applying for college. I am so thankful for the system we have in Australia where we don't have this hierarchy of ivy leagues and how you have to do exams as well as essays and interviews just to get into university and all this prep begins half way through your schooling life.  It was quiet astonishing and makes me want to volunteer and try and understanding the different education system they have in USA.

As I had a bit of time during the afternoon I spent time walking around Harvard Square... a bit like a tourist with all my pictures :)

This is the entrance to Sanders Theatre behind Annenberg Hall

This was a really cute store that sells really random things...
 
This is the entrance gate to the second building of Kirkland is... where most of the guys are
 
 
 
This is the entrance to Elliot House which is next door to Kirkland
 
Found the perfect table to play beer pong on :)
 Elliott House court yard
 
 Kirkland House entrance way
 Entrance to Kirkland House...
 
Kirkland House courtyard...
 
I read the Harvard Crimson while watching the light rain fall :) bliss...
 
 
Late afternoon, Nichole (from musical theatre class) came over and we went in to the basement and watched Thoroughly Modern Millie the 1967 version with Julie Andrews. I love how this counts as homework! We then worked on our pieces and i feel like im finally getting the confidence I have when I dance :)
 
From 8pm on sundays Kirkland House has a 'study break' where they buy us pizza and ice cream and we all get together in the courtyard. It was nice to see everyone socially as we don't see each other during the week due to the fact we don't have a common room to hang out in. I met a few other aussie's and it was nice to swap our stories of how people don't understand us and we were all agree that we want to organize a party and also work out how to watch state of origin!
 
As far as weekends go... this first one in Cambridge was awesome... lovin life!


No comments:

Post a Comment